Ok so I don’t really hate Christmas but I just wanted to get it off my chest. I have been trying to not be my normal grinchy self this Christmas, yes…me, but I have had it. I made a stop over at Writer Chicks and read her loverly post about the Peeves of Christmas and I just had to write or I will have a meltdown.
Oh wait that sounds totally wrong…I loved WC’s post. I just have had enough with the whole crap that is the “holiday season”. Since making a list makes me feel better this is how we will break it down.
* If you sign on to be the Salvation Army Bell Ringer…ring the damn bell!!! Get off you cell phone and tell me Merry Christmas when I drop in some $$$. I swear it’s not that hard…
* Please don’t ask me to provide a gift for someone in the office for a sub-for-Santa. If I would like to help out I will…but maybe I’m struggling and didn’t beg the boss to provide for my family. I’m so tired of all the “you need to help out this family because”…um well no I don’t! I work hard for my cash and maybe they should too! The office asked us to provide toys for the 4 kids. Ya think? Well I don’t. How about pool our recourses together and buy a coat or a pair of winter boots for the kids. Maybe provide the family with a nice Christmas dinner?
* Family Christmas parties…I don’t like you people and we don’t speak all year long, why do you invite me every year to your party? Is this a nasty joke that I don’t understand? I have a very hateful extended family that will screen your calls all year and then they want me to show up for this? Like my absence from the annual Christmas photo will hurt feelings
* Shopping and the perfect gift. This is not what Christmas is all about. I celebrate the birth of the savoir. Santa is just an added bonus. I think the perfect gift is to celebrate the season with the ones you love and doing the things you love. And no one can put a price on that. One of my co-workers and I were talking about this and she told me the only thing that would make her Christmas was to have her son home form Iraq. All the ribbons and bows won’t make up for time…especially time with your family.
* Christmas light displays…this is so out of control. I love to go and look at Christmas light displays and all that…but for heaven’s sake. The local golf course charges $ 6.00 to let you drive yourself threw their winter wonderland. Don’t get me wrong the price is ok if you (like most Mormons around here) have a 15-passenger van with 20 people in it. But can there be a date night discount for couples that just want to get out and enjoy the festivities…oh yes there is that romantic hay ride, that you sit (scrunch) with 18 other couples that want to be alone. Ya know on second thought…I’ll just stay at home.
* On the Christmas lights, if you are not willing to take the time and put them up nicely…just don’t bother. I don’t give a darn if you want to out shine the rest of the block…just do it right!!!